Career Opportunities at the Empire Center – Policy Analyst
The Empire Center for Public Policy (EC) seeks a Policy Analyst to support its research agenda. The analyst will work closely with our Director of Research and research staff to perform timely, credible and engaging analysis that advances EC’s mission to make New York a better place to live and work.
The position will have a strong focus on energy and environmental policy; candidates with knowledge, training or experience in that area are preferred.
EC strongly prefers a candidate who can work in our Albany, NY office. For the exceptional candidate, remote work will be considered, provided the individual is located in New York State.
- Collaborate with the Director of Research to plan a robust agenda, to include energy and environmental policy initiatives
- Collect data, perform research and provide high quality policy analyses
- Analyze legislation, regulations, court documents and other public records
- Produce quality policy publications, including blogs, op-eds and reports
- Partner with interested stakeholders to grow EC’s reach and influence
- Represent EC at public events or in the media, via television, radio, digital media or print interviews
- Build a professional network of industry and policy experts that can help bolster EC’s work
- Work collaboratively with and provide support to EC’s research team
- The ideal candidate likely has at least 3 years of relevant experience in a fast-paced, policy-oriented environment; candidates who recently obtained a graduate degree with relevant experience may also be a fit
- Bachelors degree required preferably in economics, government, public policy or another social science
- General or specific knowledge of and interest in energy and environmental policy issues
- Exceptionally strong writing skills, including the ability to turn out clear, clean and concise copy on tight deadlines
- Demonstrated aptitude for data analysis
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to thorough research methods and policy analysis
- Familiarity with common PC and/or Mac software, including MS Word and Excel.
- Proficiency in public speaking
- An affinity for EC’s free-market approach to the public policy challenges facing New York State
- Willingness to learn and collaborate in a fast-paced environment with people who care about their work
- Minimal travel will be required; approximately 5-10% within the state of New York
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- A cover letter describing how your background applies to this role; the reason for your interest in this position; a compelling case explaining why you would excel in this position; and salary requirements
- Two writing samples. Samples relating to EC’s work are preferred, but any writing sample may be submitted.
- At least three professional references
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Katy Gambella, Network Engagement Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.
Enjoying our work? Sign up for email alerts on our latest news and research.
Together, we can make New York a better place to live and work!