Education Policy Analyst
The Empire Center for Public Policy (EC) seeks a Policy Analyst to support its research agenda. The analyst will work closely with EC’s Director of Research and research staff to perform timely, credible and engaging analysis that advances EC’s mission to make New York a better place to live and work by promoting public policy reforms grounded in free-market principles, personal responsibility, and the ideals of effective and accountable government.
The position will have a strong focus on education policy, particularly elementary/secondary education issues including school choice; candidates with knowledge, training or experience in that area are preferred.
Other qualifications: bachelor’s degree required, preferably in economics, government, public policy, or other social science. Experience in a fast-paced, policy-oriented environment is preferred.
EC strongly prefers a candidate who can work in our Albany, NY office. For the exceptional candidate, remote work will be considered, provided the individual is located in New York State.
- collaborate with the Director of Research to plan a robust agenda, to include education policy initiatives;
- collect data, perform research and provide high quality policy analyses;
- analyze legislation, regulations, court documents and other public records;
- produce quality policy publications, including blogs, op-eds and reports;
- partner with interested stakeholders to grow EC’s reach and influence;
- represent EC at public events or in the media, via television, radio, digital media or print interviews;
- build a professional network of industry and policy experts that can help bolster EC’s work; and
- work collaboratively with and provide support to EC’s research team.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- exceptionally strong writing skills, including the ability to turn out clear, clean and concise copy on tight deadlines;
- demonstrated aptitude for data analysis;
- strong attention to detail and commitment to thorough research methods
- Proficiency in public speaking;
- general or specific knowledge of and interest in education policy issues;
- an affinity for EC’s free-market approach to the public policy challenges facing New York; and
- willingness to learn and collaborate in a fast-paced environment with people who care about their work.
To Apply: Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- a cover letter describing how your background applies to this role; the reason for your interest in this position; a compelling case explaining why you would excel in this position; and salary requirements;
- two writing samples. Samples relating to EC’s work are preferred, but any writing sample may be submitted; and
- at least three professional references.
This search is being managed by Steadfast, applications should be submitted by email to Info@Steadfast.us with a subject of: Analyst Application – [Last Name]. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted until it is filled. No phone calls, please.
EC is an equal-opportunity employer.
Enjoying our work? Sign up for email alerts on our latest news and research.
Together, we can make New York a better place to live and work!