The Empire Center for Public Policy (EC) seeks a Communications Director/Manager to plan, oversee and execute the Center’s communications, marketing and outreach strategy. The Communications Director/Manager will work closely with the Center’s Executive Director and Director of Development to maximize the publicity and earned media of each project.
This position will be based at Empire Center’s Albany, NY offices, however a virtual office in NY will be considered for select candidates on a case-by-case basis.
- Creating and implementing EC’s short- and long-term communications and marketing strategy
- Cultivating new and existing media contacts while staying on top of the current media landscape both locally and nationally
- Strategically managing the publications schedule
- Securing earned media coverage for EC’s reports, projects and strategic initiatives
- Booking TV and radio interviews for EC staff
- Editing and placing op-eds
- Manage EC’s website, including the NYTorch blog
- Developing and implementing paid and organic social media marketing campaigns
- Execute email strategy, including a monthly newsletter, donor communications and press releases, with an eye to growing EC’s audience and email list
- Editing and assisting in the writing of reports, articles and other materials prepared by other Empire Center researchers and staff
- Working with outside vendors, including on graphic design, website maintenance and print collateral
- A minimum of 3-5 years in government or political communications, journalism, corporate advertising/marketing or a related field is required
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred
- Exceptionally strong writing ability, including the ability to turn out clear, clean and concise copy on tight deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and copyediting experience
- Familiarity with common PC and/or Mac software, including Microsoft Word and Excel. Experience with WordPress, Mailchimp and Adobe InDesign preferred.
- Proficiency in digital and social media, including paid advertising platforms
- General knowledge of and interest in the public policy issues on which the Empire Center focuses and a strong affinity with the free-market approach to the public policy challenges facing New York State
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing:
- candidate background
- interest in the position
- compelling case for why the applicant would excel in this position
- salary requirements
- Two writing samples
- At least two references
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Lauren Skiver, Talent Manager with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.