Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s $2 billion tax cut proposal announced this week is based on a surplus at a time the state still has a deficit, assumptions that some financial analysts find shaky, and spreads out much of the promised benefits over several years, according to fiscal and policy experts.

“Based on the available numbers, it doesn’t come close to adding up,” said E.J. McMahon, president of the Empire Center for Public Policy, a fiscally conservative Albany think tank.

“The question remains, how is this going to be affordable?” said Elizabeth Lynam of the independent Citizens Budget Commission.

On Monday, Cuomo unveiled his tax cut proposal, which will be a major element of his State of the State speech Wednesday and his 2014 re-election campaign.

Cuomo said the state will reap the benefit of reduced spending while tax revenue rebounds in the economic recovery, creating a surplus. He would freeze property taxes and offer a state subsidy to schools and local governments that abide by a 2-percent cap on spending and share services to cut costs.

“Over the past three years, we have made unprecedented progress toward curbing the rise of taxes and government spending in New York, transforming a state budget with a $10 billion deficit to a $2 billion surplus,” Cuomo said Monday.

But the administration’s midyear financial plan still projects a $1.7 billion deficit at end of the fiscal year on March 30. A surplus won’t materialize until the 2016-17 fiscal year, according to a report by a Cuomo tax commission last year.

The state’s latest cash report also found state revenues running $590 million below budget expectations in November.

Cuomo’s tax cut proposal depends on the expiration in 2017 of a $2 billion-a-year temporary income tax increase on New Yorkers making over $1 million a year.

But the “millionaire’s tax,” which Cuomo opposed in the 2010 gubernatorial campaign, was extended for a second time in the spring, avoiding action this election year.

McMahon said Cuomo’s tax cut will be funded in part by one-shot initiatives already in the state’s financial plan, such as postponing $1 billion in pension payments.

“The math may work,” Lyman said. “But that’s a lot to assume. There will be tremendous pressure from the legislature to spend.”

However, Cuomo has reduced the growth in state spending to 2 percent a year — a fraction compared with past years. That will help create a surplus if tax revenue grows faster than 2 percent. But Cuomo also has committed to approximately 4-percent increases each year to the two biggest items in the budget: Education and health care.

State Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli said holding spending to 2 percent won’t be enough to avoid a deficit and enable tax cuts, but he wants to see Cuomo’s budget details.

Even Cuomo offered a caution.

“We have gone through so many ups and downs that I’m not going to venture a guess as to where the economy will be in Year Three” of the tax-cut plan, he said Monday. “But I can tell you this: If we keep doing what we’re doing . . . I think we are going to be in a strong financial position.”

© 2014 Newday

You may also like

State’s Growing Budget Hole Threatens NYC Jobs and Aid as Congress Takes a Holiday

“The biggest problem for the state is the enormous, recurring structural budget gap starting next year and into the future,” said E.J. McMahon of the conservative-leaning Empire Center. “Cuomo clearly hopes that starting in 2021, (Democratic presidential candidate Joseph) Biden and a Democratic Congress will provide states and local government a couple of year’s worth of added stimulus. Read More

How Andrew Cuomo became ‘maybe the most powerful governor’ in U.S.

Ed McKinley ALBANY — When the New York Constitution was reorganized nearly 100 years ago to give the governor more power over the budget process,  noted there was a risk of making “the governor a czar." M Read More

Study disputes Cuomo on Trump tax package; experts say it’s complicated

Michael Gormley ALBANY — A new study by a conservative think tank says President Donald Trump’s 2017 tax law gave most New Yorkers a tax cut, even as Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo insists on repealing the measure because he says it will cost New Yo Read More

Empire Center sues Department of Health over nursing home records

Johan Sheridan ALBANY, N.Y. () — The Empire Center filed a  against the state Department of Health on Friday. “This case isn’t about assigning blame or embarrassing political leaders,” said Bill Hammond, the Empire Center’s Read More

Good news: That New York pork isn’t going out the door after all

The Empire Center first reported Tuesday that grants — 226 of them, totaling $46 million, to recipients selected by the governor and individual state lawmakers — seemed to still be going ahead. Read More

New York Lawmakers Seek Independent Probe of Nursing-Home Coronavirus Deaths

With lingering questions about how the novel coronavirus killed thousands of New Yorkers who lived in nursing homes, a group of state lawmakers is pushing to create an independent commission to get answers from the state Department of Health. Read More

Policy analyst: Cuomo wrong to write-off nursing home criticism as political conspiracy

“The importance of discussing this and getting the true facts out is to understand what did and didn’t happen so we can learn from it in case this happens again,” Hammond said. Read More

EDITORIAL: Nursing home report requires a second opinion

No doubt, the Health Department and the governor would like this report to be the final word on the subject. But if it’s all the same with them, we’d still like a truly independent review. Read More