Promoting his proposal to offer free tuition at New York State’s public colleges and universities, Governor Andrew Cuomo has said “college is a mandatory step if you really want to be a success,” and that “a college education is a necessity to compete in today’s economy.”
Attendees heard from a panel of experts in Albany on March 13 at 10am as they discussed these and other aspects of the governor’s proposal.
The event was moderated by Karen DeWitt, Capitol Bureau Chief, NYS Public Radio. Panelists included:
- Beth Akers, Senior Fellow, Manhattan Institute, and coauthor of Game of Loans: The Rhetoric and Reality of Student Debt
- Jim Malatras, president, Nelson A. Rockefeller Institute of Government
- Mary Beth Labate, President, The Commission on Independent Colleges & Universities in New York
- Marc Cohen, President, Student Assembly of the State University of New York
- E.J. McMahon, Research Director, Empire Center
E.J. McMahon’s remarks: [slides]
Jim Malatras’ remarks: [slides]
Panel discussion and audience questions:
You may also like
"...the Empire Center is the think tank that spent months trying to pry Covid data out of Mr. Cuomo's government, which offered a series of unbelievable excuses for its refusal to disclose...five months after it (the Empire Center) sued, Team Cuomo finally started coughing up some of the records." -Wall Street Journal, February 19, 2021
SIGN UP TO READ ABOUT THE ISSUES IMPACTING NEW YORKERS.